The Hartford Golf Club Scholarship Foundation awarded $21,000 in scholarships to employees and children of employees at the West Hartford club.
On Aug. 2, the Hartford Golf Club Scholarship Foundation presented $21,000 in scholarship awards to six student employees and children of employees of the Hartford Golf Club.
The Hartford Golf Club Scholarship Foundation awards scholarships annually and is funded primarily by donations from members and former members of the Hartford Golf Club. Applicants must be employees or immediate family members of employees who have worked for the Club for at least one full year and are evaluated based on financial need, academic performance, character recommendations, and other criteria.
The 2017 Hartford Golf Club Scholarship Foundation award recipients include:
- Jessica Askew, a resident of Granby matriculating at the University of Rhode Island
- Italo Bucca, a resident of Hartford and student at Eastern Connecticut State University
- Tristan Morin, a resident of Unionville matriculating at Curry College
- Jeranny Nuñez, a resident of New Britain and student at Goodwin College
- Erin Szymanski, a resident of Harwinton and a grad student at Southern Connecticut State University
- Ben Thompson, a resident of Torrington and student at Assumption College
In addition, the Foundation presented three special named awards.
- The Klemenz Scholar, in honor of Steve Klemenz, a former General Manager of the Hartford Golf Club, has been awarded to Ben Thompson
- The Robert Langdon Award, given to a golf staff member or caddie working at the Hartford Golf Club, has been awarded to Tristan Morin
- The Cynthia Gordon Scholarship has been awarded to Erin Szymanski for her achievements in academics, volunteer work and other extracurricular activities.
The Hartford Golf Club Scholarship Foundation is an independent non-profit organization founded in 1989 by the members of the Club to support the education of employees or the children of employees of the Hartford Golf Club, in recognition of their service to the Club.