A round-up of openings, closings, and other news about West Hartford businesses.
By Ronni Newton
Winter certainly seems to have arrived with a vengeance!
I was really enjoying the weather in the middle of the day on Wednesday when I could venture outside without a coat. The daffodils along my driveway were already several inches above the ground and although I know it’s only February, seeing them makes me happy and optimistic with the knowledge that spring isn’t too far off.
Those poor daffodils are now buried under at least 18 inches of snow – actually more since some of the snow removed from the driveway by the snowblower adds to their white blanket.
I’m really not complaining, at least not too much. Although I much prefer the other seasons of the year, I have really enjoyed snowshoeing around the neighborhood and cross country skiing at Winding Trails over the past several days. My side porch looks like that of a ski lodge.
Both of my kids came home for the weekend, and combined with the weather it has given me incentive to cook – chili on Saturday, French toast and bacon for breakfast Sunday morning, and as I write this I’m smelling the roast in the slow cooker that will be Sunday night dinner.
I hope everyone has remained safe and has also found ways to enjoy the snow – which looks like it will be here to stay for a while.
If you have tips about businesses opening or closing, or doing something worth sharing, please provide that information in the comments or email Ronni Newton at [email protected].
Here’s this week’s Buzz:
- People always ask me how I find the news that goes into Business Buzz, and my answer is that it comes from all different sources. I learned about this one while giving my dog a bath. I was supporting the Hall Band Boosters at the Pet Valu at Bishops Corner last Sunday when I learned that the company is opening a second store in West Hartford. The Corbin’s Corner store will be in the former Payless Shoes location. Ryan Kornithuk, who has been at the Bishops Corner store, will be the manager, and he said the new location is scheduled to open on March 10. In addition to selling food and supplies for dogs, cats, birds, fish, reptiles, and other companion animals, the Corbin’s Corner store will have pet wash stations and will also hold adoption events. Kornithuk said he will have a “great staff” working in the store. “It should be a good time for anyone who walks through the door,” he said.
- Between all of the great restaurants in West Hartford – and the urge to cook comfort food during wintry weather – it’s good to know that there are plenty of outlets to work off some calories, build strength, and stay healthy. Fearless Fitness, owned by well known and highly-experienced trainers Glenn Marcella and Brandon Rocco, is West Hartford’s newest facility. It offers “intense” large group training classes, and officially opens Monday, Feb. 13 at 635 New Park Ave. Click here for more details, grand opening deals, and a schedule of classes.
- Congratulations to Carol Murdock of Classic Cakes who has just been awarded the Herb Zimmerman Leadership Award by the CT Chefs Association. The award has been given by her peers in the industry, as recognition for her years of experience as a culinary business owner and instructor, as well as for her leadership with the association and dedication to the culinary arts. Taste of Elmwood was lucky to have had Carol as an exhibitor, and her cupcakes and other creations were amazing!
- Ooh La La Boutique, located at 80 Memorial Rd. in Blue Back Square, will host a “Gather, Sip n Shop” fundraiser on Thursday, Feb. 23 from 5-8 p.m., in support of Read to a Child in Connecticut’s Lunchtime Reading Program. The latest trendy spring styles will be on display, and there will be “sparking” refreshments. Ooh La La will donate a percentage of all sales to Read to a Child, and will also provide a chance to win $50 gift card to all who bring a new children’s book as a donation to the Lunchtime Reading Program. Local children’s author Janet Lawler will also be on hand and contribute $1 of each book she sells to Read to a Child. For more information about the fundraiser, call Ooh La La Boutique, 860-236-4444. For more information about Read to a Child, call 860-838-3916 or visit www.readtoachild.org.
- A total of about 80 people – residents as well as business owners – attended two separate forums last Tuesday night at Town Hall to hear the results of an online survey and provide additional input about a vision for the future of West Hartford Center. Click here for more information that has been developed through group working with the town and consultant Fitzgerald & Halliday.
- Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage is inviting the public to an open house Thursday that is also serving as a collection drive for the West Hartford Food Pantry. Click here for details.
- After a day-long snow delay, Chick-fil-A West Hartford officially opened on Friday, Feb. 10. The “First 100” event, where the first 100 customers in line receive free Chick-fil-A meals every week for a year, was also cut short based on the weather for the safety of customers and employees. Rather than having to camp out overnight, customers were released at 10 p.m.
- West Hartford-based BlumShapiro, the largest regional accounting and business consulting firm in New England, recently elected three new partners. Corey C. Veneziano, CPA, MSAT is now a partner in the Tax Compliance Department in BlumShapiro’s West Hartford office. He has a wide range of experience in tax compliance, consulting and planning for privately held businesses and their owners and has provided tax services to clients in a variety of industries, including manufacturing/distribution, retail and professional services. The other two new partners are Steven T. Buccigross, CPA, who is based in Boston as is a partner in the Accounting and Auditing Department, and Patrick B. McAssey, CPA, partner in BlumShapiro’s Accounting and Auditing Department in Cranston, RI.
Remember, if you have any business news to share, add it in the comments section below or email Ronni Newton at [email protected].
Like what you see here? Click here to subscribe to We-Ha’s newsletter so you’ll always be in the know about what’s happening in West Hartford!