West Hartford’s leaf bag collection will begin the week of Nov 2. [Updated]
The Town of West Hartford will be offering residential properties a bagged leaf collection program from Monday, Nov. 2, 2020 to Dec. 18, 2020.
Leaves may also be collected when placed in a specially marked Yard Waste cart purchased through the town’s website.
Tips & Benefits of the Leaf Bag Collection
- Leaves are picked up weekly on your trash collection day during the period of Nov. 2 through Dec. 18, 2020.
- Place leaves in either 30-gallon biodegradable paper leaf bags, available at most grocery or hardware stores, or in a specially marked yard waste cart purchased through the town. (To order a cart, call 860-561- 8100 or purchase online).
- There is no limit to the number of bags a resident can place at the curb.
- Bags and carts must be free of branches, sticks, rocks, dirt, grass and other debris.
- Bags must weigh less than 40 pounds and carts must weigh less than 60 pounds or they will be marked for rejection and not collected. No plastic bags or loose piles.
- Please note that BRUSH WILL NOT BE COLLECTED DURING LEAF COLLECTION SEASON. Bring woody waste to the Recycling Center for proper processing.
- Keep loose leaves out of the street; taking care not to cover storm water drains.
- Bags/carts may be placed at the curb at any time. Place them at the curb even in advance of your scheduled collection day. Crews will move into other collection areas once they have completed their day’s assignment.
- Bags/carts should be placed at the curb no later than 6 a.m. on your scheduled collection day.
- For properties serviced by private contractors, leaf vouchers are available to homeowners through Public Works.
Please note leaf bags and leaf piles cannot be placed in the street because they pose a hazard to traffic, clog storm drains and impede snow plowing operations. The town’s compliance officer routinely monitors collection areas and will issue written warnings and then fines for each day that the leaves remain in the street. Leaf bags and piles should not block pedestrian sidewalks, as well.
There are other options to bagging leaves. Consider mulching your leaves with your mower. Make a couple of passes over your lawn until leaves are ground down into a fine leaf mulch. The end product is a good source of nitrogen for spring growth. Leaf compost also enriches the soil in gardens and flower beds.
If you don’t want to wait for the weekly pick up, residents may bring their bagged leaves to the Yard Waste and Recycling Center at 25 Brixton Street and dispose of them there. Leaves in plastic bags will need to be emptied in the appropriate area.
Extended Saturday hours for fall yard material drop-off at the Yard Waste and Recycling Center began Saturday, Oct. 24, 2020. The facility is open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturdays until Dec. 19, 2020. Weekday hours are Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Yard Waste Permits may be purchased at the Recycling Center, 25 Brixton Street, Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and on Saturday beginning Oct. 24, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.. Permit pricing is as follows:
- Passenger vehicles, SUVs, CUVs, and minivans w/o trailer – $10.00
- Passenger vehicles, SUVs CU’s and minivans w/ trailer – $15.00
- Pick-up trucks, full size vans, w/o trailer – $25.00
- Pick-up trucks, full size vans w/ trailer – $ 35.00
For more information on the 2020 Leaf Collection program, visit the Department of Public Works website http://www.westhartfordct.gov/pw.
Residential Leaf Vouchers
The Town of West Hartford has streamlined its Residential Leaf Voucher system. Leaf vouchers allow private contractors to dispose of leaves from residential properties at the Town’s Yard Waste and Recycling Center free of charge. Residents using the voucher system should only be charged for the cost of transporting their leaves for disposal and for the labor charges associated with cleaning their property.
Beginning on Oct. 26, 2020, residents will be able to apply for residential leaf vouchers online, by phone or in person. The online process is simple and easy. In just three steps, residents can obtain their vouchers:
- Go to the website
- Fill out the online form
- Click “Submit”
The form asks for the resident’s name, address and contractor’s information. Once the information is submitted, it will be available to the staff at the Yard Waste and Recycling Center. No paperwork is necessary.
Private contractors will be required to provide the Yard Waste and Recycling Center with the name and address of their residential customer represented on the voucher. Leaves cannot be disposed without a valid voucher. Vouchers become valid ten (10) business days from receipt.
After 10 days, the resident would need to reapply for a new voucher which gives the contractor permission to make another disposal of leaves from their property. This process would be repeated throughout the leaf bag collection season.
Residents may use as many vouchers as needed during the leaf bag collection period but must obtain the voucher prior to the contracted work. This year’s collection period runs from Nov. 2 to Dec. 18, 2020.
Contractors should note the program is for leaves only. Loads with material other than leaves, including sticks and brush, are subject to rejection.
Residents may call the Leaf Voucher line at 860-561-8149 to obtain a voucher.
Residents are reminded to keep leaves out of the roadway. Leaves in the road can become a traffic hazard, especially in windy or rainy weather, and can clog storm drains and drainage areas, which may cause flooding. For more information call 860-561-8100 or visit www.WestHartfordCT.gov/PW.
Like what you see here? Click here to subscribe to We-Ha’s newsletter so you’ll always be in the know about what’s happening in West Hartford! Click the blue button below to become a supporter of We-Ha.com and our efforts to continue producing quality journalism.