Quantcast
Government Police/Fire

Police Respond in Force to Threat at Conard, Determined to be Swatting Incident [Updated]

West Hartford Police officers search the Conard High School student parking lot after a reported threat Tuesday morning. Courtesy photo

West Hartford Police were notified about a threat early Tuesday morning, but have determined that it was a false claim made by a former student from outside the country. [Updated, 10 p.m.]

By Ronni Newton

West Hartford Police responded to Conard High School at about 8 a.m. Tuesday morning, after an alarming call was made regarding a student in the building in possession of weapons, Principal Julio Duarte said.

The school was placed in lockdown, with students remaining in their classrooms.

According to Capt. Michael Perruccio, West Hartford Police were made aware of the call at 7:58 a.m. from a 2-1-1 operator, who contacted them and said that a teenage male had called and “said he was at Conard High School with weapons.”

Police immediately began investigating the source of the call.

Duarte said Monday afternoon that he originally made an announcement on the school’s loudspeaker that there was a medical emergency requiring everyone to stay in their classrooms. That was because the 2-1-1 call stated that a student “in the building was suicidal and in possession of weapons.”

The call was treated by Duarte as a medical emergency, “which is what it was then,” Superintendent Tom Moore told the West Hartford Board of Education in his report Tuesday night. That was when the initial order was for a shelter in place for the students at the school. Over the next few minutes, the call devolved into a discussion of the caller killing himself and other students “and all these bad things,” Moore said. At which point the police responded with their SWAT team.

Officers, including the Special Operations Unit, joined the School Resource officer who was already on the premises, and were dispatched inside and outside the school, conducting a search of the premises according to protocol. Students reported, and documented with cellphone photos, that there were officers with weapons drawn searching the parking lot and inside the school’s locker room.

“Officers checked and secured both the interior and exterior of Conard and found nothing unusual while students were held in their respective locations. At no time were students or faculty in any danger,” Perruccio said.

By 9:10 a.m., the situation was resolved, and Assistant Chief Robert McCue confirmed to We-Ha.com that it was a spoof call, not made from a local number.

“At this point we are confident that this was not a reliable threat, but instead a horrible joke,” Duarte said in an announcement over the school’s loudspeaker system after the nature of the call had been determined. The school was taken off lockdown at that time.

“I heard some people ask, “Why did they respond with assault weapons? Because that’s what they are trained to do,” Moore said.

Moore said the incident was not surprising to the school district, as two-and-a-half weeks ago, a Hartford school received a “swatting” call from a former student at that school and a former student at Conard who is no longer in the U.S. After that incident, Duarte, the school’s security staff and others met to discuss the possibility of that happening at Conard.

We thought it was a realistic possibility,” Moore said, adding that officials initially believed Tuesday’s call was a “swatting” call, “but we operate under abundance of caution.”

School officials worked on getting a copy of the 2-1-1 phone call to assist police in the investigation.

“Once we had a copy of the voice, we were able to say we knew who it was who it was and expected it to be,” Moore said, noting the incident went on for about an hour and that students “responded exceptionally well.”

Moore commended the relationship that the school system has with law enforcement, which enabled the sharing of information (notably the 2-1-1 call), which hastened the investigation. Moore said that because the call came from outside the U.S., the FBI is involved and working with the undisclosed country “as we go forward.”

On Thursday, West Hartford’s police and fire departments participated in an active shooter drill, and situations like Tuesday’s incident are exactly why that type of training is so important, Moore said.

In an email to families, Duarte said that police had determined that the call “was made by a former student who no longer attends Conard, and is no longer in the country. At no time were students in any danger.”

Assistant Superintendent Andy Morrow told We-Ha.com that the administration and police “are confident that there is not a threat to Conard or any of our schools.”

Morrow also confirmed that the caller was identified as a former student. He could not provide any details about who the person is or where they were calling from, other than that it was outside the country.

McCue said that police are continuing to investigate, and that charges would be pressed against the caller if possible, but that the suspected individual is a juvenile.

Rumors that the police presence was in response to a student with a water gun being used in the game of “assassin,” which upperclassmen typically play in the spring, are completely false, McCue confirmed.

Morrow praised the response by the police, as well as that of Conard’s administration, teachers, and students, and the efforts to ensure that everyone was safe.

“The planning and training police put into place worked,” McCue said. “The officers did a really good job – exactly what they should do.”

Duarte said he is so appreciative of the West Hartford Police, Central Office, and others from the administration for the way they responded, and will debrief Conard staff on the entire situation on Wednesday. “Everyone was so calm. We are so lucky to have the support in this community,” he said.

Duarte also praised the clear and efficient communication he was able to have with with the police and the town/school security team throughout the incident.

He said that parents who still have questions are welcome to contact him directly.

“I hope that parents all know, that at the end of the day your children’s safety is always at the forefront,” said Duarte. “I’m a dad myself,” he added, and he understands how important it is to feel that your children are safe.

Ted Glanzer contributed to this story.

Like what you see here? Click here to subscribe to We-Ha’s newsletter so you’ll always be in the know about what’s happening in West Hartford!

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

About the author

We-Ha

We-Ha.com is the place to go for the latest information about West Hartford – a town that "has it all"! We-Ha.com is part of and proud of our community, and we bring a hyperlocal focus to news and features about the people, schools, businesses, real estate, sports, restaurants, charitable events, arts, and more. Contact us at: [email protected] or [email protected]

5 Comments

  • It wasn’t a lock down they claimed it was a medical emergency. No one was instructed to shut doors turn off lights or hide

    • There are various levels of lockdown. Some just close the campus and keep everyone indoors (like if there is a bear on the property), others keep students and teachers in the classrooms or wherever they happen to be when it begins, and others require shutting off lights and taking shelter, etc.

  • As a current student at Conard, I can tell you that most of the information about the announcements are false. The “medical emergency” cover-up was a horrible decision and could have put the lives of students at risk. I know for a fact that a majority of the teachers had NO IDEA what was actually going on and most teachers left there doors wide open for a good period of time. If there was a true threat inside of the school, it would have been a very very bad day for everyone. Protecting the lives of students should be put over “not causing panic”. Why practice lockdown drills if not even use them when there could possibily be a real emergency. This was not a form of lockdown. There should be a school wide if not TOWN WIDE meeting about having a code word said over the speaker to alert teachers of an issue, who then can discretely respond. This was an unexceptable and poorly executed solution during a crisis.

    • According to police and school officials the caller is a juvenile. I don’t anticipate that the name will be released unless he is charged as an adult.

Leave a Comment

Shares
Translate »