The West Hartford Department of Public Works Spring Yard Waste Collection is scheduled to begin the week of April 9, 2018.
The Department of Public Works will conduct its spring yard waste collection over a three-month period to give residents the most opportunity to recycle yard waste instead of disposing of these items into the waste stream. Collection will be held the weeks of:
- April 9-13
- May 7-11
- June 4-8
“Yard waste” is defined as leaves, pine needles, pine cones, acorns, twigs, dead plant matter and thatch. Place yard waste into a 30-gallon paper biodegradable bags and put the bags at the curb by 6 a.m. on your trash collection day.
Bundle branches under 4 inches in diameter and 4 feet in length with organic string, twine or rope. Branches exceeding these dimensions will not be collected. Lay bundles next to bags. Bags and bundles cannot weigh over 60 pounds. Material must be manageable for our collection crews.
Unacceptable items include yard waste placed in plastic bags, trash cans, and cardboard boxes. Bundles tied with wire, nylon rope, and synthetic line of any kind, or in other containers, will be skipped.
Who is eligible for curbside spring yard waste collection?
Only residential properties receiving West Hartford refuse and recycling collection.
Presenting Spring Yard Waste for collection:
- Residents should place their 30-gallon biodegradable paper bags at the curb by 6 a.m. on their refuse collection day.
- Branches and brush up to 4 inches in diameter and up to 4 feet in length will be accepted only if they are bundled with organic twine.
- Bundles tied with wire, nylon, or plastic twine will not be collected. These materials are problematic to the grinding equipment.
- Yard waste bags contaminated with soil, rocks or grass clippings will be marked with an “X'” and will no longer be eligible for curbside collection.
- Bags and bundled material must be 4 feet or less in length and weigh no more than 60 pounds.
Yard Waste & Recycling Center Hours & Services:
The Yard Waste & Recycling Center is open year round for unlimited residential use with an annual permit on Monday through Friday, from 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Beginning April 7, 2018, it is also open Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Services include:
- High quality mulch, wood chips, screened topsoil and compost, stone aggregate, pavers, and garden bed timbers for sale by Supreme Forest Products
- Electronics recycling – TVs, computers, cell phones
- Textile recycling – linens, clothes, shoes, curtains
- Yard waste disposal – brush, leaves in biodegradable bags
- Dirt, concrete, rocks, stones (free of metal)
- Mattress and box spring displosal
- Used motor oil, antifreeze and car battery disposal
- Rigid plastics recycling (for example, Lil’ Tyke play sets)
- Household recyclables – plastics, glass, cardboard, boxboard, newspapers, paper and metal containers
- Mercury thermostat disposal
Use of the Recycling Center requires an annual fee-based permit for residents owning property in West Hartford which may be purchased on-line at www.WestHartfordCT.gov/PublicWorks or in person at the Recycling Center located at 25 Brixton St. Payment can be made with cash, check, or credit card.
Like what you see here? Click here to subscribe to We-Ha’s newsletter so you’ll always be in the know about what’s happening in West Hartford!