This information has been provided by AAA Allied Group, which is headquartered in West Hartford, CT.
By Amy Parmenter, AAA Public and Goverment Affairs
This has already been a costly winter for many homeowners across Connecticut who had to deal with the damage caused by frozen or burst pipes caused by an extended period of extremely cold weather.
“While cold weather is not unexpected in New England, the prolonged stretch of extreme cold had many homeowners paying an unexpected price,” says Greg Lauria, Regional Manager for AAA Insurance. “Knowing what to do when your pipes burst, what your insurance will cover and how to process your claim is key”.
AAA Insurance offers the following tips for those with frozen/burst pipes:
AAA Tips on What to Do First
- If you discover that pipes are frozen, don’t wait for them to burst. Take measures to thaw them immediately, or call a plumber for assistance.
- If your pipes burst, first turn off the water and then mop up spills. You don’t want the water to do more damage than it already has.
- Call your insurance company claims department as soon as you can. An insurance adjuster doesn’t need to see the spill before you take action. However, he or she will want to inspect any damaged items.
- Make temporary repairs and take other steps to protect your property from further damage. Remove any carpet or furniture that can be further damaged from seepage.
AAA Tips on Managing Your Home Insurance Claims
- Make a list of the damaged articles and take photos.
- Save the receipts for what you spend – including additional living expenses if you must leave your home until repairs are completed – and submit them to your insurance company for reimbursement.
- Standard homeowners policies will cover most of the kinds of damage that result from a freeze. For example, if house pipes freeze and burst or if ice forms in gutters and causes water to back up under roof shingles and seep into the house. You would also be covered if the weight of snow or ice damages your house.
- If your home sustains water damage, it is important to make sure that it is properly dried and repaired to prevent any potential problem with mold. Remember, mold cannot survive without moisture.
- Check with your agent or company so you’ll be sure what your policy covers.
Like what you see here? Click here to subscribe to We-Ha’s newsletter so you’ll always be in the know about what’s happening in West Hartford!