The West Hartford Dog Walk will officially begin Wednesday afternoon with the revealing of the dogs.
By Ronni Newton
Dog Walk 2022 will begin on Wednesday, Aug. 31, with the official unleashing of the whimsical and colorful display of fiberglass dogs in West Hartford.
Each dog has been painted by a local artist, and the creative designs for the combination public art display and fundraiser will be unveiled at a reveal scheduled for Aug. 31, from 4:30-6 p.m., beginning in the courtyard at Blue Back Square. WTNH’s Dennis House will emcee the celebration.
The dogs will be spread out in the courtyard of Blue Back Square as well as surrounding the Noah Webster statue on South Main Street for community viewing. The dogs will remain through Oct. 31, when the walk moves indoors to Westfarms for the duration of the holiday season.
“You can feel the excitement building throughout the entire town of West Hartford. The anticipation is palpable,” said Tom Hickey, CEO of 2020Media, the West Hartford-based media and marketing outfit that is producing what promises to be this year’s FUNdraiser. 2020Media was also sponsor of last year’s super successful WEHA Bear Fair FUNdraiser.
While the dogs are smaller than the bears, and Hickey wasn’t sure they would have the same visual impact, he’s had a chance to see them while the final coat of shellac is drying and said he was amazed at how “beautiful, creative , and fun” they are.
“We’re counting on the entire community to join us as we unveil the one dozen beautifully painted dogs that make up this outdoor exhibit and that will be on display at Blue Back Square throughout the fall,” he said. “We know that people will be stunned by the level of creativity that has gone into creating these unique animal sculptures.”
Each of the 12 dogs is sponsored by a businesses or member of the community, and they have chosen a local charitable organization to benefit from the fundraising aspect of Dog Walk 2022. While there is no cost to view the dogs, each pup has a sign attached to it which includes a QR code. Visitors are encouraged to donate to any (or all) of the nonprofit beneficiaries, which will receive 100% of the proceeds.
UDOLF Properties is the overall presenting Dog Walk sponsor, in collaboration with 2020Media. The dog sponsors, charities, and artists are listed below.
- Uberdog: West Hartford Animal Control and West Hartford Dog Park Coalition; Artist Shane Hickey
- Modern Tire: West Hartford Art League; Artist Sam Ferri
- WTNH: APK Charities; Artist Bryan Wziontko
- Sheehan-Hilborn-Breen Funeral Home; FIDELCO; Artist Amy Casazza
- Hartford Healthcare: HHC Therapy Dog Program; Artist Joanna Cistulli
- GYL Financial: Jewish Family Services Food Pantry; Artist Emma Huntington
- Robin Gebrian: Ron Foley Foundation; Artist Kellly Kelly
- PeoplesBank: West Hartford Community Interactive; Artist Michelle Hawran
- Daley Moving & Storage: Animal Welfare MacCallum Fund; Artist Chris McClintic
- Hodges: Shelters by Jesus Inc.; Artist Sarah May
- Goff Law: Rainbow/A Better World Adoptions (Ukraine); Artist Shane Hickey
- 2020Media/We-Ha.com/Turley Publications: The Bridge/Children’s Charity Ball; Artist Linda Biloeau
Media partners for Dog Walk 2022 include WTNH, We-Ha.com, Jewish Ledger, West Hartford Magazine, and Turley CT Publications.