Detours will be in place on Berkshire Road in West Hartford beginning Jan. 17 while work is underway on I-84.
By Ronni Newton
As part of the continuing I-84 improvement project, a portion of Berkshire Road in West Hartford will be closed intermittently beginning Monday, Jan. 17, 2022.
According to the Town of West Hartford Engineering Division, Berkshire Road, between New Britain Avenue and Mildred Road, will be impacted due to the demolition of the old I-84 overpass. This phase of work is expected to be completed by Jan. 26.
The road is expected to be closed to traffic, with detours in place, during the following times:
- Monday, Jan. 17, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. School is not in session so closures will not impact traffic to and from Conard High School or any other school bus traffic.
- Tuesday, Jan. 18, 3 to 11 p.m. The contractor has been requested to allow buses through between 3 p.m. and 4 p.m.
- Wednesday, Jan. 19, 3 to 11 p.m.
- Thursday, Jan. 20, 4 to 11 p.m.
- Friday, Jan. 21, 4 to 11 p.m.
- Monday, Jan. 24:, 3 to 11 p.m. The contractor has been requested to allow buses through between 3 p.m. and 4 p.m.
- Tuesday, Jan. 25, Schedule pending
- Wednesday, Jan. 26, 8:15 a.m. to 1 p.m. and alternating traffic from 1 to 3 p.m.
According to West Hartford Civil Engineer Jim Brennan, pedestrians will have access through the site as needed, although there may be delays. Police officers will be present, he said.
When the project is completed, the most visible improvement for motorists will be an additional westbound lane that will stretch from the Park Road (Exit 43) on-ramp, through the exit ramp for Route 9. Eastbound traffic will have an auxiliary lane between New Britain Avenue (Exit 40) and South Main Street (Exit 43).
“Key aspects of the project include three bridge replacements, the addition of an auxiliary travel lane in each direction, noise barrier improvements, and repaving,” Brennan said previously. “The auxiliary lanes, located between Exit 43 and Exit 39A in the westbound direction and between Exit 40 (New Britain Avenue) and Exit 41 (South Main Street) in the eastbound direction, will help facilitate weaving movements of entering and exiting vehicles and increase overall highway capacity.”
A website has also been established for the project, which includes an interactive map. That information can be found here. Calls can be directed to 860-594-2560. The public can also register to receive project updates by texting “i84info” to 22828 and follow the CTDOT on Twitter at https://Twitter.Com/
Like what you see here? Click here to subscribe to We-Ha’s newsletter so you’ll always be in the know about what’s happening in West Hartford! Click the blue button below to become a supporter of We-Ha.com and our efforts to continue producing quality journalism.