West Hartford’s first official Galentine’s Day celebration will benefit Women United, and offer drinks, dining, and fun opportunities.
By Ronni Newton
Galentine’s Day – the day before Valentine’s Day – has become synonymous with women celebrating sisterhood, and on Feb. 13 in West Hartford’s Blue Back Square the celebration will be a ladies’ night out and so much more.
“One of the best parts about working at Blue Back Square are the women I work with, from those in my office to the business owners and staff at Blue Back,” said Amy Cholowa, marketing director for Blue Back Square and the organizer of the town’s first-ever Galentine’s Day celebration.
“Having the opportunity bring them all together and celebrate is so gratifying. Partnering with Woman United was the icing on the cake,” Cholowa said.
Galentine’s Day will include special shopping deals from Blue Back Square retailers, food samples from participating restaurants, and a variety of specialty cocktails created with Tito’s Handmade Vodka. There will be “Instagrammable moments” throughout Blue Back, readings by an initiative life coach, a Galentine’s Day-themed ride at CycleBar, a chance to win special prizes, and more.
Sure to be a hit will be the opportunity to engage in the Greek tradition of “plate smashing” at Balos – a stress release for a good cause.
The hosts of the West Hartford Community Television show Moms Time Out are sponsoring the plate smashing activity, and for a $20 donation to Women United, you can write down something on a plate that you want to let go of – it can be a behavior, or perhaps an “ex” – and “break away to your heart’s desire.”
A portion of proceeds of all other sales – see some of the specials food and drinks and other offers listed below – will be donated to Women United of the Central and Northeastern Connecticut United Way – an initiative that since it began in 2002 has raised more than $1.5 billion worldwide to support a growing force of women taking leadership roles in improving education, financial security, and health in 165 communities in six different countries.
Participating restaurants and retailers include Balos, Bar Louie, Flemings, Rizzutos, Skeleton Key/Deadbolt, The Cook and the Bear, Vinted, World of Beer, Barnes & Noble, CycleBar, Blo Blow Dry Bar, Crate & Barrel, Ooh La La, West Elm, Spot Coffee, Mom’s Time Out, The MedSpa at The Delamar, and Tito’s Handmade Vodka.
One winner of the grand prize hashtag contest #BBSGalentine! will receive the grand prize, described as “a gift basket from Moms Time Out, a Girls Night Out from Blo Blow Dry Bar that includes a blow out for you and seven of your besties and a bottle of champagne, a $50 gift card from Ooh La La Boutique and a Joy Susan accessory, a gift box from Woofgang Gang Bakery & Grooming, an $800 Coolsculpting treatment from The MedSpa at The Delamar, and your choice of a massage or facial for two at the Delamar Spa.”
Galentine’s Day will be celebrated in West Hartford’s Blue Back Square from 5-9 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 13 – and it’s not just for single women.
“Single or not you won’t want to miss this event,” Cholowa said. “Guys are allowed to celebrate their favorite women, too.”
- Balos – In addition to plate breaking, there will be a special Galentine’s Day Gimlet with Tito’s Handmade Vodka, and food specials including Chicken Souvlaki, Spanakopita, and Balos Chips
- Bar Louie – Chocolate Covered Strawberry Martini special, and extended Happy Hour until 9 p.m.
- Deadbolt Spirits & Fare – Silk & Lace and The Fortune Teller cocktail specials, and extended Happy Hour until 9 p.m. In addition, tarot card reader Kevin Brown will be giving free readings
- Fleming’s – Girl’s Best Friend special cocktail, and extended Happy Hour until 9 p.m.
- Rizzuto’s – Galmopolitan cocktail special, and extended Happy Hour until 9 p.m.
- The Cook and The Bear – Thank You For Being a Friend special cocktail, and fifty-cent wings
- Vinted – The Ameila special cocktail and $8 glasses of rosé
- World of Beer – Tito’s Bloody Mary special cocktail, and extended Happy Hour until 9 p.m.
Raffle prizes, Instagrammable moments, and fun activities at retailers include:
- Barnes & Noble – Meet Christine French for a free reading from Guided Insight and find out what’s your SUPERPOWER and your KRYPTONITE! Register to win a free 30-minute reading
- Blo Blow Dry Bar – Enjoy a sample from ONEHOPE Wine, and for $25 get your choice of a makeup touch-up with lashes or a braid or pony for your hair. A portion of the proceeds will go to Women United
- Update your social media profiles at Crate & Barrel, Tempur-Pedic, and West Elm and enter to win raffle prizes in store
- Find the perfect outfit and snap a selfie at Ooh La La Boutique while enjoying chocolates. Enter to win gift cards and tickets to “Sleeping Beauty”
- Not drinking? Enjoy mocktails at Crate & Barrel and West Elm
- Warm up at SPoT Coffee –“Buy 1 Get 1 for your favorite gal,” and enjoy pizza and dark chocolate-covered cherry, raspberry white mocha, and chocolate chip cookie dough flavored lattes
- For those on a health kick, CycleBar will be holding a 6:45 p.m. “Galentine’s Day” theme ride. The first ride is free for newbies, with a $25 drop-in rate for other non-members. Nurturing Hands will offer free chair massage
- The MedSpa at The Delamar – free Coolsculpting consultations will be offered, and for future treatment booked on Galentine’s Day, $50 will go to Women United. Pucker up with Hydraluxe Lip Scrub for $40 and $5 will go to Women United. Get your lashes on with Latisse for $185 and $15 of that goes to Women United. Everyone can register to win a $100 gift card.
For more information, visit the Blue Back Square website.
Like what you see here? Click here to subscribe to We-Ha’s newsletter so you’ll always be in the know about what’s happening in West Hartford!