Overstuffing Yourself at Thanksgiving can rack up the calories and fat!
The chart below shows you the calorie and fat breakdown from some of our Thanksgiving favorites. Add in the appetizers, the mid-preparation snacking, and Grandma’s homemade pecan pie, and you’ve got quite the surplus of calories and fat.
Thanksgiving is a time to enjoy good food, but it should also be focused on enjoying family and friends. You shouldn’t feel guilty about celebrating the day, but be mindful – the calories and fat can add up quickly with large portions of Thanksgiving specialties!
- 2 cups of stuffing (provides 712 calories, 34g fat). Activity to burn it off = 198 minutes of walking.
- 2 turkey legs (provides 838 calories, 27g fat). Activity to burn it off = 232 minutes of walking.
- 2 dinner rolls (provides 155 calories, 3g fat). Activity to burn it off = 43 minutes of walking
- 2 cups mashed potatoes & gravy (provides 376 calories, 13g fat). Activity to burn it off = 104 minutes of walking.
- 2 glasses of red wine (provides 254 calories, 0g fat). Activity to burn it off = 70 minutes of walking.
- 2 slices of pumpkin pie (provides 400 calories, 22g fat). Activity to burn it off = 110 minutes of walking.
Total = 2,731 calories, 99g fat. You would have to walk for 12 ½ hours to burn this off!
See the sample table below that shows the suggested number of servings from each food group based on a daily intake of 1,600 or 2,000 calories.
Shana Griffin is the registered dietitian for the ShopRite of West Hartford. Shana has an office in the store, located on the corner of Kane and Prospect streets, and offers a variety of free health and wellness services, including one on one nutrition consultations, grocery store tours, weight management and culinary workshops as well as food sampling and recipe demonstrations.
All nutritional services are available to customers free of charge. To make an appointment, customers can call Shana at 860-233-1713 or e-mail her at [email protected]. For her latest happenings at the store, follow Joseph Family Markets on Facebook: www.facebook.com/josephfamilymarkets.
Like what you see here? Click here to subscribe to We-Ha’s newsletter so you’ll always be in the know about what’s happening in West Hartford!