West Hartford Magazine celebrates local teens, on the cover and in the pages of the summer issue
By Joy Taylor
The annual “Terrific Teens” issue is out and this is our eighth year of this feature. Typically we do this in the fall but we’ve moved it up this year so the teens can be around to celebrate with all of us. By design, we select one male and one female graduate from Conard, Hall, Hebrew High School of New England, Kingswood Oxford and Northwest Catholic to be featured.
Congratulations to each teen and their families because behind every great teen is a West Hartford family which has played an important role in making them who they are today. Thank you to Todd Fairchild for one of our favorite photo sessions of the year.
The cover of the summer issue of West Hartford Magazine (click to view the pages) includes a striking portrait of the artist’s sister, entitled “Aileen” by recent Hall High graduate Daisy Li. She created the digital painting with a stylus on an iPad. This particular piece was included in a portfolio of work that earned her the Louis Pollock Scholarship from the West Hartford Art League.
Thanks again to Roxanne Stachelek, executive director of the WHAL for suggesting we get in touch with this artist. Our editorial board was very impressed with her portfolio, and having a teen artist was important for this issue.
Also included in this issue:
- Fashionable sunglasses from Central Optica and eyeglasses.com are modeled by our interns Ryley McGinnis, Dylan Carneiro and Blake Greenslade, photos by Todd Fairchild
- Travel to Beaches, Turks and Caico, by Lisa Martin
- Colello & Nixon Wedding, photos by Luke Wayne
- Cunningham & Bohn Wedding, photos by Luke Wayne
- House Plants are on trend with millennials, by Karla Dalley
- Saving for Retirement, by Whitney F. Burr, Investment Consultant for Valerie E. Thomas & Associates LLC
- Twin Tasters took INDIA restaurant cuisine to go, by Joy Taylor and Amy Melvin
Please note, we are seeking art for our covers (West Hartford artists only). Please contact creative director Joy:[email protected].
Like what you see here? Click here to subscribe to We-Ha’s newsletter so you’ll always be in the know about what’s happening in West Hartford!