A round-up of openings, closings, and other news about West Hartford businesses.
By Ronni Newton
I have two very different editorial comments for this week.
First of all, summer is supposed to be the time when things slow down, but that doesn’t seem to be the case in West Hartford. Last week was a short week because of the Fourth of July holiday (and even shorter for me because I was still away on Tuesday) but I reported on two fairly major business stories last week (the sale of the Blue Back Square movie theater to Cinépolis and the opening of Goldberg’s Gourmet in Blue Back Square, and there are just as many bullet points in this article as usual.
None are about businesses closing either!
And, check out the lengthy list of the most recent real estate transactions.
My second editorial comment was prompted by the celebration of my son’s Conard High School graduation we had on Sunday. In less than seven weeks (yikes!) he will be all moved into his dorm at UConn with an as-yet-to-be-determined roommate. By this point in the summer three years ago (which seems like just yesterday) my daughter had pretty much completed all of her college shopping and most likely already knew what she was going to wear on the first day of classes. Since she now lives in a [luxury, central-air conditioned, with washer-dryer] apartment, we do have some supplies like a dorm fridge and fan for him to take to school, but there’s quite a bit to be done.
And my baby is going to be in college, and we will be empty-nesters.
If you have tips about businesses opening or closing, or doing something worth sharing, please provide that information in the comments or email Ronni Newton at [email protected].
Here’s this week’s Buzz:
- My sister was very excited when I told her about this new business, because it’s something she really enjoyed when she lived in New York City and hadn’t found in West Hartford! Your Green Spa opened just a few weeks ago at 1140 New Britain Ave. in Elmwood in a former print shop space right next to HB Seafood. They offer foot reflexology, an ancient Chinese alternative medicine that use massage of specific areas of the sole of the foot to stimulate other organs of the body. Reflexology promotes blood circulation, and claims to have positive impact on fat burning, detoxification, allergies, energy, and pain relief. Your Green Spa also offers hand massage and facials. For more information, visit their website or call 860-216-1691.
- The new Cumberland Farms store and gas station on the corner of New Park and Flatbush is about ready to open. I peeked at the store over the weekend and it appears as if some merchandise has already been delivered and the construction is just about completed. A definitely improvement to that corner where there was previously an abandoned and fire-damaged building.
- Sixteen restaurants have signed on for the first ever Taste of Blue Back and The Center, scheduled for Wednesday, July 27, 2016, from 5-8 p.m. on Isham Road in Blue Back Square. Tom Hickey of West Hartford Magazine and We-Ha.com would like to thank the following local businesses for coming forward to help support such an important community event: BNY Mellon Wealth Management; Becker’s Diamonds & Fine Jewelry; Eagan, Donahue, VanDyke & Falsey; and Robert Levine for State Rep. “Without the support of these businesses we would not be able to present this event. It’s a wonderful thing when the business community works together to benefit West Hartford,” said Hickey. According to Blue Back Square Marketing Director Elizabeth Zigmont and West Hartford Center Business Association President (and BK&Co owner) Barbara Karsky, tickets are selling fast! There are also a number of shops that will be offering special deals during the event. Click here for tickets, and watch We-Ha.com for additional updates.
- Congratulations to Dr. Jeane M. Best, who has been in practice in West Hartford for more than 25 years and has been recognized as one of the top 25 dentists in Connecticut by the North American Center for Dentistry. According to a news release, “this is a distinction reserved for dentists who have consistently provided superior service and excellent patient experience throughout their career.” The criteria include ethics and professionalism, patient satisfaction based on surveys, and membership in dental organizations.
- AgilityResources Group LLC has moved from Newington to 345 North Main St. in Bishops Corner. The company is a producer of conferences and events for mortgage professionals. “We’re excited about our new space, and about putting our company into a dynamic community like West Hartford,” said Agility CEO Vincent M. Valvo in a news release. “We’ve been looking for space for growth and to provide a high standard for amenities for our employees. We’ve found both with our new move,” he said.
- Coldwell Banker completed the move to its new space – the former Chico’s store at 992 Farmington Ave. – on June 28. Looks beautiful!
- ICYMI – Goldberg’s has opened its second West Hartford location (called Goldberg’s Gourmet) in the former Posh Pizza at 38-44 Isham Rd. in Blue Back Square. The transition happened with very little downtime in part because the owner of the Posh franchise (Chad Kirby and Dan Taskila) are also the owner of Goldberg’s. Click here for the details.
- Also ICYMI, the Blue Back Square movie theater was sold this week to Cinépolis USA. No major changes expected other than some additional menu items and classic movie features. Read the full story by clicking here.
- Last but not least, here’s your reminder to vote for Best of West Hartford from among the more than 275 finalists selected in nearly 50 categories – all determined by nominations from the community. The winners which will be honored at a gala awards show on Sept. 8. A list of all of the finalists and the link to voting can be found by clicking here. Some area businesses are doing a great job making their customers aware of the competition, so don’t forget to support your own favorites. Voting is easy, and you can even do it from your phone while sitting on a sunny beach somewhere!
Remember, if you have any business news to share, remember to add it in the comments section below or email Ronni Newton at [email protected].
Like what you see here? Click here to subscribe to We-Ha’s newsletter so you’ll always be in the know about what’s happening in West Hartford!