An odor of natural gas was detected in Corbin’s Corner on Thursday morning.
By Ronni Newton
The West Hartford Fire Department responded to the Corbin’s Corner shopping center at 10:03 a.m. Thursday after receiving a report of a strong natural gas smell.
According to Battalion Chief Jarrad Smith, “a widespread odor of natural gas was detected in the area causing concern amongst neighboring businesses and residents.”
Kouzina, a fast casual restaurant located at 1481 New Britain Ave. in Corbin’s Corner, was evacuated by officials. Occupants of other nearby businesses self-evacuated, and people who were parking in the lot expressed concern as well due to the prevalence of the odor, Smith said.
According to Smith, firefighters, using atmospheric sensors, were able to localize the source of the gas leak and determine there was not a risk of explosion.
A representative from Connecticut Natural Gas also responded and was able to secure the gas service, Smith said. The situation was placed under control at 10:31 a.m.
West Hartford Police assisted with “crowd control” at the scene, said Smith. There were no reported injuries to any parties.
Smith noted that the distinctive odorant that is added to natural gas – which on its own is odorless – “did its job and caused people to sound the alarm before it was truly a hazardous situation.”
Like what you see here? Click here to subscribe to We-Ha’s newsletterso you’ll always be in the know about what’s happening in West Hartford! Click the blue button below to become a supporter of We-Ha.com and our efforts to continue producing quality journalism.