‘A Shayna Maidel’ will open with preview shows on Oct. 30, and run through Nov. 17 at Playhouse on Park in West Hartford, and throughout the run there will be a collection of fall/winter clothing for Tara’s Closet.
Playhouse on Park’s eleventh season continues with Barbara Lebow’s “A Shayna Maidel,” running Oct. 30-Nov. 17.
“A Shayna Maidel” is a powerful and poignant drama of survival and strength about two sisters trying to reconnect after years of separation brought on by the Holocaust. Although born in Poland, Rose, now in her 20s, came to the United States with her father, Mordechai, at the age of 4 and is now completely “Americanized.” A burden of guilt and deeply mixed feelings engulf the aging Mordechai as he awaits the arrival of his elder daughter, Lusia, who has, at last, found her way to America. “A Shayna Maidel” explores family, faith, and forgiveness in the pursuit of a better future.
“A Shayna Maidel” will be directed by Dawn Loveland Navarro. Dawn is returning to Playhouse on Park after having directed “Intimate Apparel,” “The Chosen,” “Proof,” and “Red Light Winter.” The Jewish Community Foundation of Greater Hartford and The Jewish Federation of Greater Hartford are producing partners of “A Shayna Maidel.”
In addition, Playhouse on Park’s Young Professional Advisory Board is collecting fall and winter clothing and outerwear for Tara’s Closet, to benefit members of our community in need: men, women, teens, children and infants.
Tara’s Closet is run by Jewish Family Services; the initiative raises funds to increase the awareness of mental illness, while also confidentially giving clothing to JFS clients. Tara’s Closet is looking for coats, sweaters, gloves, scarves and boots in excellent, new or “like new” condition. Clean, freshly washed, and free of tears, stains or rips. All sizes are needed, and hangers are preferred. Undergarments and socks will not be accepted.
Please consider bringing a contribution to Playhouse on Park throughout the run of “A Shayna Maidel.” To learn more, visit the Tara’s Closet website.
Starring in this production of “A Shayna Maidel” are:
- Mitch Greenberg (Broadway: CAN-CAN, FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, IT SHOULDA BEEN YOU; Goodspeed: Jack Blumberg RAGS) as Mordechai
- Laura Sudduth (Broadway: Julie u/s Madame de Tourvel, Cecile, Emilie LES LIAISONS DANGEREUSES; Arkansas Repertory: Della THE GIFT OF THE MAGI (world premiere); Film/TV: Cindy THE MARVELOUS MRS. MAISEL) as Rose
- Katharina Schmidt (Edinburgh Fringe Festival: THE AMERICAN FAMILY [DEVISED]; Lenfest Center for the Arts: Rachel CHINESE OPERA AND A MODERN DRAMA, The WorkShop Theater: Kitty Oppenheimer THE LOVE SONG OF J. ROBERT OPPENHEIMER) as Lusia
- Krista Lucas (Ivoryton Playhouse: Hilary St. George GUESS WHO’S COMING TO DINNER, Little Theatre of Manchester: Lexie THE DIXIE SWIM CLUB) as Mama
- Alex Rafala (Playhouse on Park: Billy Bibbit ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO’S NEST, Peter Van Daan THE DIARY OF ANNE FRANK; Film: THE HISTORY OF METAL AND HORROR) as Duvid
- Julia Tolchin (Robert Moss Theater: Mary Tilford THE CHILDREN’S HOUR; Playwrights Horizons Downtown: Sonya UNCLE VANYA) as Hannah.
Previews are scheduled for Wednesday, Oct.30 at 7:30 p.m., as well as Thursday, Oct. 31 at 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. All preview tickets are $17.50, and seats must be reserved. Talk backs will be held after each Sunday matinee performance.
Tickets for performances Oct. 30 through Nov. 17 are now on sale, and range from $30-$40. Student, Senior, and Let’s Go Arts discounts are available. Opening night, complete with a complementary pre-show wine and cheese reception is Friday, Nov. 1 at 8 p.m. New this season: Tuesday and Saturday 2 p.m. matinee performances. “A Shayna Maidel” is part of the 2019-20 Main Stage Series; consider subscribing and save 20%. Group ticket sale discounts are also available.
For more information or tickets, call the box office at 860-523-5900 x10 or visit www.playhouseonpark.org. Playhouse on Park is located at 244 Park Rd., West Hartford, CT 06119.
Like what you see here? Click here to subscribe to We-Ha’s newsletter so you’ll always be in the know about what’s happening in West Hartford!