Students from West Hartford’s Conard High School who plan to continue their athletic careers at the college level participated in a recognition ceremony Thursday.
By Ronni Newton
A ceremony was held Thursday afternoon at West Hartford’s Conard High School gym to recognize the seniors who plan to continue participating in sports at the collegiate level.
Fifteen of the 18 who plan to be college athletes participated in the ceremony, which was attended by a large contingent of family members, friends, coaches, and West Hartford Athletic Director Jason Siegal.
“Today we are celebrating these fine student athletes,” said Siegal.
“I could not be more happy and proud of everything you have accomplished to this point,” he said to the students, noting that the students took on not only the challenges of their academic schedules but also the challenge of participating in at least one sport at a very high level.
“You are closing one door and opening another chapter of your lives,” Siegal told the students. “But once a Chieftain, always a Chieftain.”
Many of the coaches also attended, and congratulated the students, noting their many accomplishments and the leadership they provided to teammates, and wishing them good luck at the next level.
Students attending the ceremony and pictured above were (back row, from left):
- Sam Baker, track and field, Central Connecticut State University
- Cole Johnson, lacrosse, Hamilton College
- Shamus Biggs, baseball, Springfield College
- Patrick Mahon, lacrosse, St. Michael’s College
- Kenneth Shazel, football, Wilkes University
- Justin Furze, football, Sacred Heart University
- Jeff LaRosa, baseball, Old Dominion University
- Andres Mayuri, soccer, Eastern Connecticut State University
- Hannah Barry, gymnastics, University of Bridgeport
- Kate Shaffer, lacrosse, UConn
- Lauren Manning, swimming, Gettysburg College
- Ellie Brown, field hockey, Connecticut College
- Abigail Mayuri, volleyball, Nichols College
- Isabel Lubin, field hockey, Union College
- Carl “CJ” Denson, lacrosse, Hartwick College
- Ben Arky, swimming, Vassar College
- Matt Langevin, football, Bates College
- Ian Sagers, cross country and track and field, Roger Williams University