As the food-oriented fall season continues in full swing, Shana Griffin, registered dietitian for the ShopRite of West Hartford, has some tips for preventing weight gain.
Here’s a startling statistic: Americans gain an average of 2 pounds between Halloween and New Year’s Day, and it’s no wonder, with a typical holiday meal containing up to 4500 calories! Don’t panic just yet, small changes can make a big difference for you this holiday season, and Shana, the Registered Dietitian at the ShopRite of West Hartford has some great ideas to help stave off the holiday pounds.
- Move! Use a pedometer or fitness tracker to track your activity if it helps remind you to keep moving. Every bit of movement counts- even if its 10 minutes here and 15 minutes there – and it adds up throughout the day!
- Track your food to prevent mindless eating. Keeping an (honest) daily food journal helps you realize how much you have actually consumed and holds you accountable.
- Eat something every 4 to 5 hours instead of “saving up” your calories for one big meal. Research shows that you will be more likely to overeat if you skip meals.
- Get creative with cooking and baking. Find “better for you” ways of modifying a dish or baked good. Just because something is “lighter” doesn’t mean it doesn’t taste as good!
- Rethink Your Drink. Drink more liquids that are calorie free (especially water).
- Eat lots of vegetables. Include a variety of produce in your holiday meals, and try new ways of preparing them. Produce adds more volume to your meals, filling you up without the calorie overload.
- At gatherings, don’t hover near the food table to avoid mindless eating. Hold conversations on the other side of the room- out of sight, out of mind.
A healthy holiday recipe to try can be found below!
Shana Griffin is the registered dietitian for the ShopRite of West Hartford. Shana has an office in the store, located on the corner of Kane and Prospect streets, and offers a variety of free health and wellness services, including one on one nutrition consultations, grocery store tours, weight management and culinary workshops as well as food sampling and recipe demonstrations.
All nutritional services are available to customers free of charge. To make an appointment, customers can call Shana at 860-233-1713 or e-mail her at [email protected]. For her latest happenings at the store, follow Joseph Family Markets on Facebook: www.facebook.com/josephfamilymarkets.
Like what you see here? Click here to subscribe to We-Ha’s newsletter so you’ll always be in the know about what’s happening in West Hartford!