The inaugural year of the Farmers’ Market at Bishops Corner in West Hartford was a great success, and there are some exciting additions to the list of vendors for this year.
Submitted by Bishops Corner Neighborhood Association
The Farmers’ Market at Bishops Corner is back for the second year. The market opens for the season on Saturday, May 16, 2015, from 9 a.m.-noon. It will run on Saturdays through October 31, 2015.
Located at 2475 Albany Ave. next to Starbucks in the Crown Market Plaza, the farmers’ market offers a bounty of fresh, local products and lots of fun. Plenty of free parking is available.
Sponsored by the Bishops Corner Neighborhood Association, The Farmers’ Market at Bishops Corner opened for the first time in August of 2014 with an overwhelmingly positive response from the neighborhood. On average over 300 people walked, biked and drove to the Farmers’ Market at Bishops Corner each week. Feedback from attendees showed that they loved the availability of fresh products, the neighborhood feel and the convenience of the market.
This year we’re growing! With the additional support of Bishops Corner residents, we have an expanding operating committee. This allows us to diversify our products, increase our marketing footprint, and provide fun events for all ages. Local vendors will offer fresh produce, locally baked goods, cheeses, dairy products and much more.
We will have some of the same vendors as last year as well as some REALLY exciting new ones. Here’s a list (N) = new vendor (R) = returning vendor:
- Phoenix Farms (N) Conventional veggies, pickles, honey, eggs
- Café Louise (R) Baked Goods, including gluten free baked goods.
- Anthony’s Farm (R) Organic veggies and flowers
- Sweet Pea Cheese (N) Goat milk products including chevre, feta, curd, greek yogurt, milk, cream cheese
- Cheesy Street Grill (N) Food Truck (starting May 23) Various grilled cheese sandwiches (including breakfast sandwiches), tomato bisque, mac and cheese
- Newgate Farms (R) – full line of conventional veggies
- The George Hall Farm (R) Full line of organic veggies
- Faddy’s Ice Cream (N) (starting May 23)- apple cider donuts, hard ice cream and kettle corn
- Connecticut Gourmet (N) – Breads, pastries and cakes
As we enter our second season, we’re again so grateful to Leonard Udolf, owner of Udolf Properties, for again graciously allowing us to use his property. Without him we’d have no place to hold the market. Mr. Udolf’s tenants, Crown Market, Starbucks and Dry Kleaning by McKleans have also agreed to the market for the 2015 season.
Stop by, visit with neighbors and see what the market has to offer each week. Find us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. You can also check out our website to stay up to date on our special events, vendors, volunteer opportunities and much more at www.farmersmarketbc.org. We look forward to seeing you for our grand opening day celebration on May 16!
About the Bishops Corner Neighborhood Association
The Bishops Corner Neighborhood Association (BCNA) is comprised of both residents, businesses and advocates for the Bishops Corner section of West Hartford. The BCNA is currently working to beautify Bishops Corner, increase pedestrian and bicycle accessibility to the area, and facilitate communication with residents, businesses and non-profits. The BCNA meets every other month from 8-9am at the Bishops Corner Senior Center. All are welcome to attend.