The MDC has announced its 2021 schedule of hazardous waste collection and COVID-19 protocols which will be followed.
Each year, the Metropolitan District (MDC) provides its customers with an environmentally-friendly initiative, the Household Hazardous Waste Collection (HazWaste) program. The 2021 HazWaste Program is scheduled to begin Saturday, May 1.
The MDC collects hazardous waste and disposes of it through safe, environmentally responsible practices which in turn protects the health of our communities and the environment. The MDC will hold 10 collection dates in 2021 and residents of any participating towns can partake in any collection date.
Participating towns for 2021 include: Bloomfield, East Granby, East Hartford, Hartford, Newington, Rocky Hill, West Hartford, Wethersfield, Windsor, and Windsor Locks. See schedule below for dates, times, and locations.
In addition, as a result of COVID-19, the following protocols remain for 2021:
- Limit one person per vehicle.
- Remain in your vehicle at all times.
- Keep your windows rolled up.
- Be ready to place driver’s license against window for proof of residency.
- Place only the waste items you want removed in the trunk of your vehicle. Remove all other items.
- Workers will remove the contents and will be in full safety gear.
- Fuel containers will not be emptied and returned.
For more information about the HazWaste program, including a downloadable information packet that lists eligibility requirements, types of materials accepted and more, visit https://themdc.org/what-we-do/environment-health-safety/household-hazardous-waste-collection or call the HazWaste hotline at 860-278-3809.
Schedule of collection dates. (Residents of any member town can participate in any of these events):