The Town of West Hartford offers a free service to save money on prescriptions, as well as vision care and hearing aids, that are not covered by insurance.
The Town of West Hartford reminds residents of a prescription savings card that is available to all residents, free of charge.
Through its association with the Connecticut Conference of Municipalities (CCM), the statewide association of towns and cities, the Town of West Hartford introduced the program in 2014 and now wants to share the information once again so residents and enjoy the savings. As of Dec. 31, 2018, Connecticut residents have saved almost $12 million on their prescription drug costs with this program.
The Prescription Savings Program helps residents save money on their prescription medications any time their prescription is not covered by insurance. Items such as contact lens and hearing aid batteries are good examples.
The Prescription Savings Program provides immediate fiscal relief at the pharmacy counter and offers the following features and benefits:
- Anyone can participate regardless of age, income, or existing health coverage;
- All prescription medications are covered, including pet prescriptions that are human-based and can be filled by a pharmacy;
- Cost savings are on brand name and generic medications. Generic prescriptions offer 20-70 percent savings and brand drugs see a 10-20 percent savings;
- There are over 63,000 participating pharmacies nationwide. In West Hartford, participating pharmacies include CVS, Rite-Aid, Walgreens, Suburban Pharmacy, and The Medicine Shoppe.
- Vision discounts of 20 percent off usual/customary fee for eye exams; 50 percent off frames/lenses; everyday low pricing and free shipping on online lenses
- LASIK discounts of 40-50 percent off the national average cost (accepted at 600-plus locations nationwide from credentialed physicians)
- 35-65 percent savings on hearing services from a national network of local ear physicians and audiologists and on brand-name hearing aids/products
- There is no cost to the municipality
Even if you are currently enrolled in an insurance plan, you can use the discount card. There are no enrollment forms, membership fees, restrictions, or limits on frequency of use. Cardholders and their family members are encouraged to use the cards any time their prescriptions are not covered by insurance.
Cards can be printed by visiting www.CTRxDiscountCard.com and complete the short online form that asks for your name and town.
The website also contains a “Learn the Perks of the Card” where residents can locate a participating pharmacy, do their own price comparison of a drug, search WebMD, and learn about the program’s discounts on vision, hearing and dental.
Informational brochures on the program in four languages – English, Spanish, Russian and Vietnamese – is available on the town’s web site, WestHartfordCT.gov/DrugSavingsCard.
“CCM is pleased to offer this valuable community service to the Town of West Hartford,” said Alison Geisler, CRM & Member Services Associate. “This program will help residents save money on their medications and much more.”
If you have any questions or concerns, call toll-free ProAct helpline: 877-776-2285.
Like what you see here? Click here to subscribe to We-Ha’s newsletter so you’ll always be in the know about what’s happening in West Hartford!