A fire Saturday morning at the West Hartford nursing home was contained to the elevator room.
By Ronni Newton
Multiple units responded to a report of a fire at the skilled nursing facility St. Mary Home on Albany Avenue in West Hartford Saturday morning, and quickly extinguished the blaze without any impact on the residents.
Battalion Chief John Sokolowski said the fire was small, and firefighters were able extinguish it with CO2 before it spread out of the approximately 4 foot by 8 foot elevator room where it started.
The hydraulic pump for the elevator overheated and caught fire, Sokolowski said. While firefighters pulled a line up the door of the building, there was no need to even use water.
“It didn’t impact the rest of the building and the residents were not affected.” St. Mary Home has excellent fire protection controls in place, Sokolowski said, and there was no need for any evacuation.
The impacted elevator is out of service until the pump can be repaired, but the building has three other elevators that are operational for use by residents, staff, and visitors.
Like what you see here? Click here to subscribe to We-Ha’s newsletter so you’ll always be in the know about what’s happening in West Hartford!