The Town of West Hartford has advised that tax bills will be mailed on Tuesday, June 21, 2022.
The Town of West Hartford Revenue Collection announced Friday that real estate, business personal property and motor vehicle tax bills will be mailed to property owners on Tuesday, June 21, 2022.
This year there are two different mill rates: A mill rate of 32.46 was set for motor vehicles as a result of a rate cap passed by the General Assembly on May 3, 2022 through House Bill 5506. The Town Council set the mill rate at 40.68 for real estate and business personal property. The Council also adopted a two year phase-in to implement the Oct. 1, 2021 revaluation of real estate. A letter explaining how taxes are calculated will accompany the real estate bills.
The phase-in pertains only to properties that have increased in value. For the first year of the phase-in, July 1, 2022 and Jan. 1, 2023 tax bills, the tax bill is calculated by multiplying the mill rate by only a portion of the new assessment.
Real estate is billed in two installments. The first installment is due July 1, 2022 and covers the period of July 1, 2022 through Dec. 31, 2022. The second installment is due Jan. 1, 2023 and covers the period of Jan. 1, 2023 through June 30, 2023.
Motor vehicle tax bills are for vehicles registered as of Oct. 1, 2021, and cover the period of Oct. 1, 2021 through Sept. 30, 2022.
If you escrow your taxes with a mortgage company and you would like to view your bill, follow these steps:
- Go to https://www.mytaxbill.org/inet/bill/home.do?town=westhartford
- Search for your bill by Name, Property Location, Bill # or List Number
- Select any of the following icons: Information on this Account; Download PDF; View Original Tax Bill
To avoid a penalty, payment must be postmarked or hand delivered by Monday, August 1, 2022. Payments postmarked after Aug. 1, 2022 incur interest at a rate of 1.5% per month, calculated back to July 1 due date.
There are four options to pay:
- Pay online. Pay by electronic check ($0.90 processing fee) or by credit card (2.95% processing fee). Go to https://www.westhartfordct.gov/tax and click on the button: PAY TAXES NOW
- Pay by mail. Insert your check and payment stub in the provided envelope. Yes, the New Britain address is correct. This is where our bank processes payments.
- Pay by Secure Deposit Box. Payments can be placed in the Town Hall secure deposit box located on the outside wall to the left of the Town Hall entrance. The sign above the box reads, “Town Hall Business.”
- Pay in person. Come to Room 109 located off the Town Hall lobby. Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
You may pay more than one tax bill with one check. Simply reference all bill numbers on the check.
If you would like a receipt, you may print a copy of your payment history on line. Go to https://www.westhartfordct.gov/tax and select “Look Up My Tax info.” Payments are reflected one business day after a payment is posted by the Tax Office.
Tax relief programs are available to veterans and income eligible residents over the age of 65. Contact the Assessment Office to learn more. Call 860-561-7474 or visit their web page https://www.westhartfordct.gov/town-departments/assessment/tax-relief-programs.
Like what you see here? Click here to subscribe to We-Ha’s newsletter so you’ll always be in the know about what’s happening in West Hartford! Click the blue button below to become a supporter of We-Ha.com and our efforts to continue producing quality journalism.