This year July 4 falls on a Saturday, but Friday is the official holiday celebration for businesses and offices that are closed on Saturdays.
By Ronni Newton
The Fourth of July holiday is – obviously – on July 4, but when any Federal holiday falls on a weekend it it typically observed on the Friday before (if the holiday is Saturday) or Monday after (if the holiday is Sunday).
This year, businesses that are typically closed on Saturdays will observe the Independence Day holiday on Friday, July 3. Below is a listing of some of the openings and closings.
Trash and recycling collection in West Hartford is not impacted by the holiday.
- West Hartford Town Hall and other town offices are closed BOTH Friday, July 3 and Saturday, July 4
- West Hartford Public Library – all branches are closed BOTH Friday, July 3 and Saturday, July 4
- State offices are closed closed BOTH Friday, July 3 and Saturday, July 4
- DMV is open from 7:45 a.m.-12:30 p.m. on Friday, July 3 and closed on Saturday, July 4.
- Most banks are open Friday and closed Saturday. However, under state law they can remain open so call or check online with your own bank.
- Financial markets are closed on Friday. (They are always closed on weekends.)
- State Courts are closed BOTH Friday, July 3 and Saturday, July 4
- Federal offices closed BOTH Friday, July 3 and Saturday, July 4
- United States Post Office is closed with no home delivery on Saturday, July 4
Open Friday and Saturday
- Most drug stores
- Most liquor stores
- Most supermarkets
- Most retail stores. Westfarms has reduced hours from 10 a.m.-6 p.m. on Saturday. Checking with other stores is also suggested.
- West Hartford parks and public pools at Fernridge, Kennedy, and Eisenhower parks, as well as splash pads at West Hartford parks
- State and municipal parks
Enjoy the holiday!
Like what you see here? Click here to subscribe to We-Ha’s newsletter so you’ll always be in the know about what’s happening in West Hartford!