More than 200 people enjoyed the food and and the new venue at the fifth annual Taste of Elmwood, held in the lobby of West Hartford’s Corporate Center West on Wednesday evening.
By Joy Taylor. Photos by Todd Fairchild and Ronni Newton
The line was out the door at 5 p.m. as guests from around town, as well as building employees, gathered at Corporate Center West for the Taste of Elmwood, which marked its fifth anniversary on Wednesday evening.
As soon at the Health Department gave the thumbs up, nine local restaurants served up some amazing dishes (see photos below) – from soup to nuggets – for well over 200 guests who attended the event at its new location, Corporate Center West.
In the name of food, fun, and fundraising for the Elmwood Business Association, the tradition started five years ago when, in the dead of winter, restaurants were hungry for some positive publicity and Dr. Rick Liftig, the unfailing cheerleader for the neighborhood he loves, was happy to have a reason to celebrate Elmwood.
The only thing missing on Thursday night was a sound system for Dr. Rick, Mayor Shari Cantor, Ronni Newton of We-Ha.com, and Tom Hickey who represents WHMedia Group and West Hartford Magazine, to be able to shout out their love for Elmwood and their appreciation to the restaurants and guests.
Thank you to …
- Sliders Grill & Bar: Famous chicken wings
- Back Nine Tavern: Pulled pork sandwiches
- KT Bakery: Banh Mi Sandwiches, sweet cakes
- Chick-fil-A: Chicken nuggets and Superfood Salad
- Classic Cakes: Cupcakes, cookies
- Goldberg’s Bagels: Bagels, bagels, and more bagels with a selection of cream cheeses
- Café Louise: Belgian Endive w/Gorgonzola and elegant desserts
- Fernwood Restaurant: Butternut Squash soup, Beef Marsala on egg noodles, Bread Pudding
- Russell’s Creative Global Cuisine: Mashed Garlic-Scented Yukon Gold Potatoes or Buckwheat Noodles with Tamarind Vinaigrette served in a martini glass topped with Braised Beef Short Ribs or Thai Curried Chicken and Vegetables or Japanese Vegetables
In addition to the food, Winam Wines, a Farmington Valley wine distributor and importer, offered wine and vodka samples.
Nurturing Hands offered chair massages, and SnapSeat Photo Booth added playfulness to the event with props and snap shots that instantly spread on social media.
Thanks to a Bruce Stanger at Stanger Stanfield Law offices and the support of Figure Eight Properties, for the location idea. A special thanks also to Lynn Kovolski, the owner/operator of the Java Café in the building, for her support with ticket sales.
The event was brought to you by WHMedia Group, and WHMedia, West Hartford Magazine, We-Ha.com, Jewish Ledger, WHSquared, Turley Publications, Eat IN Connecticut, and more.
Thank you also to sponsors JP Carroll Construction, Lux Bond & Green, The McAuley, Northstar Wealth Partners, Robin Gebrian William Raveis Real Estate, Sheehan Hilborn Breen Funeral Home, Über Dog, Keating Agency Insurance, Valerie E. Thomas & Associates, Cruise Planners, Blue Back Square, and Central Connecticut State University.
Additional thanks to Taylor Rental Party Plus, West Hartford Chamber of Commerce, Town of West Hartford, and Merchant Solutions.
Like what you see here? Click here to subscribe to We-Ha’s newsletter so you’ll always be in the know about what’s happening in West Hartford!