In 2018 the Fourth of July falls on a Wednesday, and most public and private offices are closed while many retail operations are open.
By Ronni Newton
Wednesday, July 4, 2018, is a Federal holiday, and most non-retail businesses will be closed in observance of Independence Day.
Many people have taken some or all of the week for vacation, and We-Ha.com is also celebrating the holiday on Wednesday. We will return to our regular newsletter on Friday.
Trash and recycling collection will be delayed by one day beginning July 4 for those with Wednesday through Friday pick-up. Wednesday’s collections will be done on Thursday, with each remaining day of the week one day later. Collection on Monday and Tuesday, July 2 and 3, is not impacted. Visit the website www.painesinc.com or call Paine’s, Inc. at 860-844-3000 with any questions.
In recognition of the July 4th holiday, Town Hall, Recycling Center, community center, senior centers and libraries will closed on Wednesday, July 4.
The following will be closed on Tuesday:
- West Hartford Town Hall and other town offices
- West Hartford Public Library
- West Hartford Recycling Center
- West Hartford Senior Centers (Bishops Corner and Elmwood)
- State offices
- Most banks
- Financial markets
- State Courts
- Federal offices
- United States Post Office
The following will be open on Tuesday but may have special hours of operation:
- Many retails stores, including Westfarms (10 a.m.-6 p.m.), but checking in advance is advised
- Most drug stores
- Most liquor stores
- Most supermarkets
- West Hartford parks and public pools at Beachland, Fernridge, Kennedy, and Eisenhower parks, as well as splash pads at West Hartford parks
- State and municipal parks
There are no (authorized) fireworks displays in West Hartford. Click here for a summary prepared by the Hartford Courant of Fourth of July celebrations, including fireworks, throughout the state.
Enjoy the holiday!
Like what you see here? Click here to subscribe to We-Ha’s newsletter so you’ll always be in the know about what’s happening in West Hartford!