Animal Control Officer Karen Jones is hoping many of the dogs will be able to go ‘home for the holidays.’
By Ronni Newton
There are more dogs than usual being sheltered at the West Hartford Animal Control’s facility at 36 Brixton Rd., and Animal Control Supervisor Karen Jones wants to spread the message that those thinking about adopting should remember that there are great dogs available close to home.
“There are so many option out there that a lot of the local animals get forgotten,” Jones said.
“Be a local hero, adopt locally,” is the message she is trying to spread.
West Hartford Animal Control’s shelter is currently housing seven dogs. Despite not really having the right type of facility, they also had a cat until it was adopted last week, she said.
Jones said that five of the dogs are ready to be adopted at any time. “There’s no one ‘perfect’ dog. All have their issues. Some are shy, some are still learning their manners,” she said. “It’s all about the personality – hooking people up with the dog that suits them.”
Jones said that the dogs that end up in West Hartford’s facility are a “smorgasbord.” Although the “bully breed” mixes are most common, sometimes they end up with a collection of small purebreads.
Three of the dogs currently housed at the shelter were recently picked up from the MDC reservoir, and Jones suspects that they were purposely dumped there. “Three dogs within a half mile of each other, within an hour, in a wooded neighborhood right below the hiking trails …” is just too much of a coincidence, she said.
The following dogs are currently available. Photos are available below, and Jones has provided the following descriptions:
- Adele – Bulldog mix, 2 years old. Female. Funny and full of character. 60 lbs-ish. Short and stocky.
- Melody – Pitbull mix, female, 1.5 yrs old. Sweet, energetic, but a little shy with new things.
- Miya – Pitbull mix puppy. Black and white. Female. 8 months old. Sweet but very shy with new people. Would do well with a confident but friendly dog.
- Jazz – Female. Hound Pitbull mix. 6 years old. Loves attention, walks and has a ton of character. She wants all of your attention.
- Harmony/Katie – Female Lab mix. White and black, 8 yrs old. Friendly, sweet and energetic.
Anyone interested should contact Karen Jones at [email protected] or 860-523-2018.
Like what you see here? Click here to subscribe to We-Ha’s newsletter so you’ll always be in the know about what’s happening in West Hartford!