A round-up of openings, closings, and other news about West Hartford businesses.
By Ronni Newton
Happy Holidays! This is the week when Hanukkah begins (Tuesday at sundown) and it’s the last full week before Christmas. It’s likely going to be a crazy shopping and cooking week, but I hope everyone is able to step away from the craziness and have some quality family time.
During the holidays, we will continue to bring you the latest news about West Hartford businesses and everything else! If you have tips about businesses opening or closing, or doing something worth sharing, please provide that information in the comments or email Ronni Newton at [email protected].
- Have you seen the site at the corner of Farmington Avenue and Prospect? The strip at 668-678 Farmington Ave. that used to house Walgreens and Tangiers is now a major construction zone and the old building has been demolished. Walgreens is still filling prescriptions out of a temporary home in a trailer, but the rest of the property is hard-hat-only space. The sign on the construction wall says the new Walgreens will be open sometime in 2015. Tangiers seems to be thriving in its new, larger space just over the line in Hartford at 550 Farmington Ave. (Had a great lunch there a few weeks ago!) Many may recall that spot as the former home of Cheese & Stuff.
- Shu Restaurant opened this fall at 156 Shield St., right next to the A Dong Supermarket. Most of the reviews on Yelp are excellent (overall 4.5 out of 5) for this Szechuan-style Chinese restaurant, and Nick Caito had some good things to say in his review a few days ago on CTNow.com. The place was hopping on Sunday afternoon, and if the smell of the food is any indication, it’s amazing.
- On Wednesday, Dec. 17, Bouvier Insurance will be sponsoring a Blood Drive with the American Red Cross. It will be from 12:30-5:30 p.m. at the American Red Cross at 209 Farmington Ave., Farmington. “We’d love to get as many people as possible to donate blood that day! Anyone wanting to donate can sign up at redcrossblood.org,” said Samantha Magri of Bouvier Insurance.
- Blue Back Dental, located at 65 Memorial Dr., Suite 400, West Hartford, has added Dr. Timothy Holzhauer to the staff. According to Blue Back Dental’s website, Hotzhauer, whose wife Liz is also part of the Blue Back Dental team, is a graduate of UConn and UConn Dental School. He is a member of the American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine, and has “trained extensively in the management of sleep-related breathing disorders including obstructive sleep apnea and snoring. He is also a certified Invisalign and Six Month Smiles provider.”
- West Hartford resident Drew McElroy has started a new Lacrosse coaching business, Mack Lax. “I teach lacrosse to kids as young as 4 and up through high school. I grew up playing lacrosse and played in college and beyond. I’ve been coaching now for over 10 years. I was a teacher and started the business to be able to spend more time with my young daughters and help teach kids to play the game I love,” McElroy said. For information about classes beginning in January, visit McElroy’s website.
- There was a Holiday Marketplace at 485 New Park Ave. on Sunday, but even if you missed it, the unique assortment of businesses in this “hidden corner” of West Hartford are definitely worth checking out. Click here to read the story about The Shops at 485 New Park.
Remember, if you have any business news to share, remember to add it in the comments section below or email Ronni Newton at [email protected].
Like what you see here? Click here to subscribe to We-Ha’s newsletter so you’ll always be in the know about what’s happening in West Hartford!