A round-up of openings, closings, and other news about West Hartford businesses.
By Ronni Newton
Happy Monday, and Happy June! Even though it’s a rainy and cool day, even I won’t complain too much about the weather since May was pretty much spectacular in my book.
There’s plenty of great business news to share, so we will get right to the Buzz today!
If you have tips about businesses opening or closing, or doing something worth sharing, please provide that information in the comments or email Ronni Newton at [email protected].
Here’s this week’s Buzz:
- Congratulations to Hartford Baking Company, named in the latest issue of People Magazine as one of the “20 Coffee Shops in America You Have to Visit” – a list of what People calls “quaint cafes” with “serious caffeine cred.” Hartford Baking Company, located at 625 New Park Ave., is the only coffee shop in Connecticut to make the list. “What’s a cup of joe without a pastry alongside it? This spot bakes their treats – and breads – in-house daily,” writes People.
- West Hartford chef Billy Grant, owner of Grant’s and Restaurant Bricco, is hosting a series of “Pop-Up” farm to table dinners, celebrating food as well as local farms. The first, the Spring Fling Farm Dinner, will be held on June 12, and will be set against the beautiful backdrop of Rose’s Berry Farm in Glastonbury. Local contributions to the “Spring Harvest Table with Family Style Stationed Appetizers” five-course event will include arugula from Urban Oaks Farm, cured Gutt Farm eggs, Coach Farm chevre, Preli Farm baby sunchokes, and shortcake with berries from Rose’s Berry Farm. For more information, click here for Billy Grant’s website.
- Posh Tomato, which had a soft opening on April 15 and reportedly has been doing a booming business at its Blue Back Square location (38-44 Isham Rd.), will hold a grand opening celebration on Thursday, June 4, from 5-8 p.m. The event will include live music, free pizza and beer from Craft Beer Sellers as well as prizes. West Hartford Deputy Mayor Shari Cantor will preside over a ribbon-cutting at 6:30 p.m.
- Best of West Hartford finalists have been announced! There are a total of 152 finalists in 32 categories, and voting will begin on Wednesday, June 3. Click here to see if your favorite spot made the cut, and if not, check out those that did so you will be able to cast your well-educated vote. The winners will be revealed at a gala planned for Sept. 10. Click here for more information, and look for a link to the voting coming this Wednesday.
- ICYMI: The Strongworks is now open in West Hartford Center. Owned by West Hartford native Owen Drolet, the exercise studio utilizes a unique high-intensity, slow-movement approach to weight training. According to Drolet, clients are able to build muscle mass, lose weight, and feel better, with only one to two, 20-30 minute workouts every week.
- Noodles & Company is holding a fundraiser for the West Hartford Senior Center on Monday, June 1. Visit for lunch or dinner (dine-in or take-out included), and Noodles & Company will donate 20 percent of your purchase to support the senior center. You must present this flyer at the time of purchase:
- Edward Jones is looking to expand in the Greater Hartford area, and will be holding three simultaneous recruiting events on June 3 in order to attract potential new job candidates. According to a news release from Edward Jones, they are looking to hire 50 financial advisors and 50 branch office administrators in the area. “As the firm expands in the greater Hartford community, we are looking to hire candidates who value hard work and will embrace our focus on building deep client relationships,” said Jeff Burdick, Edward Jones regional leader in Hartford, in a news release. “We have an immediate need for motivated and engaged individuals who are passionate about working face-to-face with clients to help them reach their financial objectives.” The West Hartford event will take place at Fleming’s Prime Steakhouse, 44 South Main St., on Wednesday, June 3, 2015, from 6-8 p.m. For more information contact [email protected].
Remember, if you have any business news to share, remember to add it in the comments section below or email Ronni Newton at [email protected].
Like what you see here? Click here to subscribe to We-Ha’s newsletter so you’ll always be in the know about what’s happening in West Hartford!