A round-up of openings, closings, and other news about West Hartford businesses.
By Ronni Newton
“Business Buzz” is exactly what it sounds like – a column featuring news about West Hartford’s businesses! We hope you like reading this column as much as we enjoy digging up the information to put into it.
We know that you like to be “in the know,” and we will try to make sure that you are. This weekly column highlights business stories you may have missed during the past week as well as any other business-related scoop we might have. Sometimes the news isn’t enough for a full story (or we haven’t been able to get all the details yet), but it may still be newsworthy so you’ll find it here.
This column needs your input, too! If you have tips about businesses opening or closing, or doing something worth sharing, please provide that information in the comments or email Ronni Newton at [email protected].
- An alert reader provided us with the tip that a new restaurant had moved into the space vacated by Shish Lounge adjacent to the West Hartford Inn. Shish closed at the end of May, and Los Imperios opened its doors on Sept. 10. The restaurant is family-owned and operated, family-friendly, and features authentic Peruvian cuisine. Specialities include Peruvian chicken, Tallarin Saltado (Peruvian spaghetti), and ceviche. Owner Ernesto Leon said they will serve a selection of American cuisine as well. Look for a feature story with all the details coming soon!
- Congratulations to local graphic artist Gary Holmes of gariphic! He is featured in Lands End’s quarterly “Success Stories” publication with advice on what makes a great logo. To read Gary’s advice, jump to page 10 of this link.
- Gilley Kitchen & Bath has opened its new showroom at 16 LaSalle Rd. in West Hartford Center. For a sampling of some of the fabulous renovations they’ve done, visit the company’s houzz profile.
- This is big news for business and residents. West Hartford is leading the way (along with Stamford and New Haven) in the quest to bring ultra-high-speed Gig Internet service to Connecticut. For more details on what this means to you and the town, read this story about the announcement made at the Legislative Office Building last week.
- There was an Open House held Sunday at the Holy Family campus on Tunxis Road, featuring the four entities that share space there. One of those, the Copper Beach Institute, is celebrating its inaugural season. There are lots of West Hartford people involved with the Copper Beach Institute, and look for a feature story about the new business coming soon.
- The New Children’s Museum in West Hartford will have a change in leadership. CEO Bob Griesmer announced late last week that he will be departing to become CEO at the Virginia Air and Space Center.
- Business Buzz correction: We updated last week’s column once it was learned that Bonefish Grill is not coming to Blue Back Square at this time. Just wanted to make sure everyone got the update, and sorry for spreading a rumor.
If you have any business news to share, remember to add it in the comments section below or email Ronni Newton at [email protected].