Bi-weekly spring yard waste collection will begin the week of April 4, 2022, with collection on the same day as bi-weekly recycling pick-up, and Saturday hours return April 2 at the Yard Waste and Recycling Center.
On April 4, 2022, the Department of Public Works will commence its Spring Yard Waste Collection. Yard waste collection follows the same schedule as bi-weekly residential recycling.
Residents must put their yard waste out by 6 a.m. on their recycling day. The program runs until the end of October.
Yard Waste is defined as:
- Pine needles
- Dead plant matter, and
Acceptable Yard Waste presentation:
- 30-gallon biodegradable brown bags
- Bundled branches and brush up to 4 inches in diameter and up to 4 feet in length accepted ONLY if bundled with organic twine
- Brown barrels (95-gallon barrels available for purchase – see photo above and details regarding below)
- Bundles tied with wire, nylon or plastic (these items harm grinding equipment)
- Yard waste bags contaminated with rocks, soil, grass clippings
- Bags and bundled material LONGER than 4 feet
- Bags and bundled material weighing MORE than 40 pounds
Brown Barrels can be purchased for $73.12 in three ways:
- Order online and pay by credit card
- Call DPW at 860-561-8100 and order over the phone
- In person at the Public Works Facility, 17 Brixton Street, during business hours: Monday-Friday 7:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. (cash and check accepted in person)
Separating Yard Waste
Yard waste is NOT permitted in Trash carts. Separating yard waste from the green trash barrels greatly reduces the volume of trash sent to regional trash facilities and reduces the amount of methane gas released into the atmosphere. It’s a great way for residents to contribute to West Hartford’s environmental sustainability efforts.
Year-round yard waste disposal options are available at the Recycling Center, 25 Brixton Street. Annual permits are required. For more information, call 860-561-8100 or visit www.westhartfordct.gov/pw.
Yard Waste & Recycling Center
The Yard Waste & Recycling Center is open year-round for unlimited residential use with an annual permit. Saturday hours resume April 2, 2022 and will run through Dec. 17, 2022. Hours are Monday through Friday, from 7 a.m.-4:30 p.m., and Saturday from 8 a.m.-1 p.m.
- High quality mulch, wood chips, screened topsoil and compost, stone aggregate, pavers, and garden bed timbers for sale by Supreme Forest Products
- Electronics recycling: TVs, computers, cell phones
- Textile recycling: linens, clothes, shoes, curtains
- Yard Waste disposal: brush, leaves in paper bags
- Dirt, concrete, rocks, stones (remove metal)
- Mattress & Box Spring
- Household recyclables: plastics, glass, cardboard, boxboard, paper and cans
- Mercury thermostats
Use of the Recycling Center requires an annual fee-based permit for residents owning property in West Hartford.
Permits may be purchased online or in person at the Recycling Center. Pay with cash, check, or credit card.
- To purchase online with a credit card, click here.
- To request a permit for purchase with cash or check, click here.
Like what you see here? Click here to subscribe to We-Ha’s newsletter so you’ll always be in the know about what’s happening in West Hartford! Click the blue button below to become a supporter of We-Ha.com and our efforts to continue producing quality journalism.