A round-up of openings, closings, and other news about West Hartford businesses.
By Ronni Newton
Business news in West Hartford keeps on coming – even in the middle of the holiday season. Full-length feature stories about some of these items are in the works, but in the meantime, here’s this week’s buzz.
Remember, if you have tips about businesses opening or closing, or doing something worth sharing, please provide that information in the comments or email Ronni Newton at [email protected].
- Taste of Elmwood is coming back for a second year! On Thursday, Feb. 5, 2015, from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., several local food and beverage businesses (as of now the participants are Cora Cora, Corner Pug, Elmwood Pizza & Grinders, Fernwood Restaurant, HB Seafood, Sliders Grill & Bar, Tapas and Two Pour Guys) will gather under one roof in Elmwood in the name of fun, food and fundraising for the Elmwood Business Association and Saint Brigid School. This second annual “Taste of Elmwood,” is presented by Jerry’s Artarama, and JP Carroll Construction, and it will take place on the Saint Brigid School campus, at 100 Mayflower Street. Advance ticket sales are requested, and can be purchased HERE: Taste of Elmwood Ticket Order Form
- Fringe Hairworks is preparing for a big move and an even bigger expansion. The salon currently located at 990 Farmington Ave. in West Hartford Center will move around the corner to 7 North Main St., taking over the stately historical building that most recently housed the LOL Club but was originally the home of the Noah Webster Memorial Library. There will space for 14 stylists, and in contrast to the classic façade, the interior will be modern and state-of-the-art. The grand opening is scheduled for Jan. 11, 2015.
- Tis the season for engagements and wedding planning! West Hartford’s FaceRX MD will be offering tips on looking your best for that “big day” as they join many other local businesses at the 30th Annual Connecticut Bridal Expo, presented by Jenks Productions, this coming weekend. The Expo will be at the Connecticut Convention Center, 100 Columbus Boulevard, Hartford on Saturday and Sunday, Jan. 3 and 4, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on both days.
- World of Beer has sent out a press release announcing its West Hartford opening. The date was not provided, however, the company’s public relations asssociate told We-Ha.com that the opening is currently planned for Jan. 19, but “with the holidays it may change.” Stay tuned for the exact date once it is finalized. The location at 73 Isham Rd. in West Hartford’s Blue Back Square will be the second in the state, and according to the release “will feature a 4,000-square-foot tavern and will offer one of the world’s widest selections of craft beers bottled and on tap — more than 500 bottles and 50 rotating taps — inviting guests into a journey to discover the best in local and international beers. WOB-West Hartford will serve lunch and dinner daily and host live music performances Friday and Saturday nights each weekend.” Many of the beers will be from local breweries, including Two Roads Brewing Co. (Stratford); City Stream Brewery (Hartford); and Olde Burnside Brewing (East Hartford). Food offerings will include giant Bavarian pretzels (Editor’s note: yum!!), a “Guinness Brat Slider,” and a Chimay burger. Chimay, in case you don’t know (had to look this up), is a high-alcohol-content Belgian brew. According to the World of Beer menu, a Chimay burger is: “Flame-broiled half-pound all-beef burger piled high with Chimay Classique cheese, sautéed mushrooms, caramelized onions and served on a brioche bun with house-made Chimay Sauce.”
- West Hartford’s Fleet Feet Sports is hosting the “Ton of Fun” Challenge, beginning Jan. 5, 2015. Registration is now open to everyone in the Greater Hartford area for this “biggest-loser-style” challenge. There’s a $50 registration fee due in advance, but if you weigh in for eight of the program’s 12 weeks and lose 5 percent of your body weight, you get the $50 back. Activities include programs on exercise and nutrition, weekly walks, and even massage and relaxation seminars. Look for more details about the challenge, but register now to participate by clicking here. Contact Allison at [email protected] or 860-233-8077 with questions.
- West Hartford resident and restaurateur Dorjan Puka has opened his third eatery. The owner of popular West Hartford Center restaurants Treva and A’Vert has expanded into Manchester, bringing his own signature style to Artisanal Burger Company. To read the review that appeared in the Hartford Courant last week, click here.
Remember, if you have any business news to share, remember to add it in the comments section below or email Ronni Newton at [email protected].
Like what you see here? Click here to subscribe to We-Ha’s newsletter so you’ll always be in the know about what’s happening in West Hartford!