A dozen artistic dogs were unveiled in West Hartford’s Blue Back Square and the Center on Wednesday at the launch of Dog Walk 2022.
By Ronni Newton
Dog Walk 2022 is now underway in West Hartford with the unleashing Wednesday of a dozen artistically decorated pups that will use their canine appeal in a “FUNdraiser” that will assist a variety of local charities.
The dogs – each of which has been appropriately and creatively named – are as unique as their artists, sponsors, and the causes they promote.
The event was attended by many of the artists as well as sponsors and representatives of the beneficiary charities, and as each dog was unveiled, it became clear that photographs can’t do justice to the overall impact and the special touches added by the artists – like the luminescence of Kelly Kelly’s mosaics on “Blossom,” the jeweled bee on the nose of the sunflower-covered “Hope,” created by Christine MacClintic, or dozens of tiny objects that adorn the body of the “I Spy” dog created by artist Michelle Hawran.
One of the dogs has two completely different sides, and each second look at any of the dogs reveals something previously unseen.
Hartford HealthCare’s dog “Healer” looks like an actual yellow Lab therapy dog – which in intentional, “Major” looks like a military dog, and some visiting canines may be be apt to think other of sculptures are real life dogs. “Banksy Bowwow,” however, is perhaps a bit too abstract to be mistaken as sentient.
All dogs are in the “stay” position atop a platform that also includes signage with their artist statement, and a QR code that will allow for direct donation to the chosen nonprofit, which receives 100% of the proceeds.
UDOLF Properties is the overall presenting Dog Walk sponsor, in collaboration with 2020Media. The dog names and their sponsors, charities, and artists are listed below:
- Superdog (Uberdog): West Hartford Animal Control and West Hartford Dog Park Coalition; Artist Shane Hickey
- Banksy Bowwow (Modern Tire): West Hartford Art League; Artist Sam Ferri
- Major (WTNH): APK Charities; Artist Bryan Wziontko
- Daisy (Sheehan-Hilborn-Breen Funeral Home); FIDELCO; Artist Amy Casazza
- Healer (Hartford Healthcare): HHC Therapy Dog Program; Artist Joanna Cistulli
- Treat (GYL Financial): Jewish Family Services Food Pantry; Artist Emma Huntington
- Blossom (Robin Gebrian): Ron Foley Foundation; Artist Kellly Kelly
- I Spy (PeoplesBank): West Hartford Community Interactive; Artist Michelle Hawran
- Hope (Daley Moving & Storage): Animal Welfare MacCallum Fund; Artist Chris McClintic
- Max (Jeff Hodges Landscaping): Shelters by Jesus Inc.; Artist Sarah May
- Kohana (Goff Law): Rainbow/A Better World Adoptions (Ukraine); Artist Shane Hickey
- Augie Doggie (2020Media/We-Ha.com/Turley Publications): The Bridge/Children’s Charity Ball; Artist Linda Bilodeau
More information about the dogs and their creators, the artist statements, sponsors, and beneficiaries can be found on the PDF below.
Like what you see here? Click here to subscribe to We-Ha’s newsletter so you’ll always be in the know about what’s happening in West Hartford! Click the blue button below to become a supporter of We-Ha.com and our efforts to continue producing quality journalism.
Leave a Comment