Two suspects have been arrested for tampering with evidence, but police said that the suspect in the shooting has left the country.
By Ronni Newton
West Hartford Police have arrested two suspects through warrant in connection with shots fired outside Zaytoon’s Bistro on Park Road in September, but the suspect believed to have been the actual shooter has fled the country, police said.
A warrant is outstanding for Momen Almefleh, 23, whose last known address is on Evergreen Street in Hartford, according to information released by Capt. Michael Perruccio on Friday afternoon.
Police said they hold an active warrant for Almefleh for charges of illegal discharge of a firearm, first-degree criminal mischief, first-degree reckless endangerment, illegally carrying a pistol without a permit, and illegal possession of a weapon in a motor vehicle.
Almefleh fled the country during the investigation, police said.
Two suspects have been arrested and charged with tampering with evidence.
Omar Alzghoul, 28, of Kane Street in West Hartford (pictured above), was arrested by warrant on Nov. 6, Perruccio said. He was charged with tampering with evidence and is being held on $25,000 bond.
Police have also arrested Ahmed Lebabneh, 26, of Capen Street in Hartford, for tampering.
That arrest was made on Nov. 14, 2018, while Lebadneh was being held at the Hartford Correctional Center on other charges. His bond for the tampering charge was set at $25,000. Police said that his mugshot is not available.
The owner of Zaytoon’s Bistro reported the incident on Sept. 19, when he arrived at 9:52 a.m. to open the restaurant and noticed that the building had been struck several times by bullets. Bullet casings were found on the ground.
Police had received a 911 text that originated from a side street off Park Road regarding shots that had been fired about 35 minutes prior to that. Officers responded but did not find anything at the time.
No one was injured in the incident.
“All involved suspects in this case have been identified and either arrested or otherwise accounted for and it has been determined this was an isolated incident with no threat to the community or general public,” Perruccio said in an email Friday. He said that this is a joint investigation which remains open and active, and there is the possibility that additional charges will be made.
Like what you see here? Click here to subscribe to We-Ha’s newsletter so you’ll always be in the know about what’s happening in West Hartford!