Bi-weekly spring yard waste collection will begin the week of April 6, 2020, and collection will take place on the same day as bi-weekly recycling pick-up.
On April 6, 2020, the Department of Public Works will commence its Spring Yard Waste Collection. Yard waste collection follows the same schedule as bi-weekly residential recycling.
Residents must put their yard waste out by 6 a.m. on their recycling day.
Yard Waste is defined as:
- Leaves, pine needles, pine cones, acorns, twigs, dead plant matter, and thatch
Acceptable Yard Waste presentation:
- 30-gallon biodegradable brown bags
- Bundled branches and brush up to 4 inches in diameter and up to 4 feet in length accepted ONLY if bundled with organic twine
- Brown barrels (95-gallon barrels available for purchase – see photo above and details below)
- Bundles tied with wire, nylon or plastic (these items harm grinding equipment)
- Yard waste bags contaminated with rocks, soil, grass clippings
- Bags and bundled material LONGER than 4 feet
- Bags and bundled material weighing MORE than 40 pounds
Brown Barrels can be purchased for $73.12 in three ways:
- Call DPW at 860-561-8100 and order over the phone
- By credit card on-line 24-hours/day on the Public Works page of the Town of West Hartford’s website: “Order a Yard Waste Brown Barrel” link
- In person at the Public Works Facility during business hours: Monday-Friday 7:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. (cash and check accepted in person)
Separating Yard Waste
Please note that separating yard waste from the green trash barrels greatly reduces the volume of trash sent to regional trash facilities and reduces the amount of methane gas released into the atmosphere. It’s a great way for West Hartford residents to contribute to West Hartford’s environmental sustainability efforts.
Like what you see here? Click here to subscribe to We-Ha’s newsletter so you’ll always be in the know about what’s happening in West Hartford!