West Hartford Woman Recovering from Stabbing

White ribbons are posted at the entrance to Stoner Drive in West Hartford, where people have also left bouquets of flowers as a memorial to a 12-year-old resident who was killed Monday. Photo credit: Ronni Newton (we-ha.com file photo)

Janemarie Murphy, who was allegedly stabbed by her son on Dec. 17, has been released from intensive care at St. Francis Hospital.

By Ronni Newton

A West Hartford woman still faces a long recovery process, but a family spokesperson said Wednesday that Janemarie Murphy has been released from the Intensive Care Unit at St. Francis Hospital where she has been undergoing care since she was stabbed, allegedly by her 12-year-old son, on Dec. 17.

“The family is so grateful for the outpouring of kindness and support they’ve received,” family spokesperson Chuck Coursey said in a statement on Wednesday. “Jane has been moved out of the Intensive Care Unit and it is expected that she will be moved to a rehabilitation facility shortly where she will begin the long and difficult process of healing. The family asks for continued prayers and privacy.”  

Murphy, 56, has been a lobbyist with the Hartford law firm Murtha Cullina for 24 years.

Many West Hartford residents have placed white ribbons outside their homes, or are wearing ribbons pinned to their coats, as a show of support for the family at the center of the tragedy.

Adults and children have continued to grieve and try to make sense of the tragic incident that took place the afternoon of Dec. 17, in which a 12-year old boy fatally stabbed his twin sister and seriously injured their mother. Several prayer services were held the week following the incident.

The boy has not been named by West Hartford Police, who have indicated that there is no new information available about the case.

The son has been charged with one count of murder with special circumstances due to the victim being under age 16, and one count of first-degree assault. He was arraigned on Dec. 18 at Connecticut Children’s Medical Center where he was brought for treatment of injuries he sustained in the incident, and is now in the custody of judicial marshals. Sources have said that he is being held in a juvenile detention center in Hartford.

Like what you see here? Click here to subscribe to We-Ha’s newsletter so you’ll always be in the know about what’s happening in West Hartford!

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

About the author


We-Ha.com is the place to go for the latest information about West Hartford – a town that "has it all"! We-Ha.com is part of and proud of our community, and we bring a hyperlocal focus to news and features about the people, schools, businesses, real estate, sports, restaurants, charitable events, arts, and more. Contact us at: [email protected] or [email protected].

1 Comment

Leave a Comment

Translate »