Smarter Substitutions for your holiday favorites from Shana Griffin, Registered Dietitian at the ShopRite of West Hartford.
There is no need to deprive yourself of your favorite holiday treats. Shana Griffin, Registered Dietitian at the ShopRite of West Hartford has tons of helpful ideas to help lighten up your favorite dishes without sacrificing taste or flavor!
Check out her cauliflower mash and sneaky pumpkin bread recipes below- the secret ingredient may surprise you!
- Instead of butter, substitute equal parts cinnamon applesauce (no sugar added).
- Use a lower-calorie sugar substitute such as Stevia or Splenda blend.
- Substitute low-fat or skim milk instead of whole or heavy cream, or try a milk alternative like unsweetened almond milk.
- Instead of using only white flour, use half white and half whole-wheat, oat, almond, coconut or quinoa flour to add extra protein and fiber to your recipes.
- Instead of adding chocolate chips or candy, use dried fruit, like cranberries or cherries, or even shredded carrots. Dates can also be used as a natural sweetener.
- Use extracts like pure vanilla, almond and peppermint to add flavor, instead of sugar or butter.
- Use vegetable oils such as olive oil or coconut oil, instead of butter.
- Get more protein and fiber by using whole-grain or bean-based breads and pastas instead of white. There are several great brands, including Banza Chickpea pasta and Explore Asian Black Bean Spaghetti or Edamame Fettucini.
- Bake, grill or steam vegetables instead of frying or sautéing in oil. Spice things up with various dried or fresh spices.
- Compare nutrition labels on your holiday ingredients, choosing those with lower sodium and sugar.
- Instead of alcohol in mixed drinks, use club soda or seltzer water.
- If you decide to indulge in alcoholic beverages, drink a glass of water between each drink. This will help to fill you up, avoid extra calories and keep you hydrated.
- Mix 100-percent juice with water or use freshly squeezed juice, like lime instead of adding sugar to mixed drinks.
Shana Griffin is the registered dietitian for the ShopRite of West Hartford. Shana has an office in the store, located on the corner of Kane and Prospect streets, and offers a variety of free health and wellness services, including one on one nutrition consultations, grocery store tours, weight management and culinary workshops as well as food sampling and recipe demonstrations.
All nutritional services are available to customers free of charge. To make an appointment, customers can call Shana at 860-233-1713 or e-mail her at [email protected]wakfern.com. For her latest happenings at the store, follow Joseph Family Markets on Facebook: www.facebook.com/josephfamilymarkets.
Like what you see here? Click here to subscribe to We-Ha’s newsletter so you’ll always be in the know about what’s happening in West Hartford!